The Bird Buddy camera module is powered by a 3800 mAh rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery.
The module that also houses the battery is fully detachable, so you can easily charge it with the USB-C cable that is included in every order. You can always check the status of your battery no matter where you are, right from the Bird Buddy app.
Effects on battery life
Many factors can affect the expected lifetime of your battery:
- What frequency of notifications do you have set up in your Bird Buddy app? More frequent notifications and activity detection will use your battery up quicker.
- Is your Bird Buddy outside in extreme weather conditions? If your feeder is outside during inoperable temperatures, it goes dormant to prevent potential damage to the battery.
- If you are using our solar roof add-on, it will greatly improve your battery life as it provides a continuous charge during daylight. You can check here to see whether your solar roof is set up for optimal charging conditions.
There are two ways to make sure that Bird Buddy is always ready to send you new postcards, and that you never lose sight of your feathered backyard visitors:
Charging Bird Buddy with a USB-C cable
You can charge your Bird Buddy with the USB-C cable that is included in every order (the cable is relatively short because it's safer and easier to take the module inside for charging).
Simply detach the camera module from the feeder and take it inside to charge it. It’s as easy as charging your smartphone! Find the instructional video, as well as written instructions below:
- Detach the camera module from the feeder
- Plug the smaller connector (the USB-C head) into the charging port at the top of the camera module
- Plug the larger connector (the USB head) into the charging port of a power adaptor or your computer's USB port.
For continuous charging outside, you could run an extension cord to a power adapter that the USB C cable is plugged into. You can also replace the USB C cable with a longer one. However, you should only do this if your Bird Buddy is located in an appropriate setting (such as a balcony or roofed terrace). Otherwise, such a setup could pose a big safety concern. We recommend that the camera module is always taken inside for charging.
Charging Bird Buddy with the solar roof add-on
If you purchased the solar roof add-on, it will aid in making sure your Bird Buddy receives a continuous charge during daylight. With the solar roof attached, you will prolong the battery life. You can find information on how to install and utilize the solar roof in our Solar roof article.