Welcome to the Bird Buddy app! 📸🐦
Soon this app will become your first-row seat to nature. One of its most exciting features is postcards: they contain videos and photos of birds that visit your Bird Buddy. Our bird-recognizing model then identifies the bird, and the photos and videos are stored in the Collections according to the species.
You can navigate through the main sections of the app by clicking on the five-tiled navigation bar with icons at the bottom of the screen. If you use your phone's "back button" (which is just a swiping gesture on some phones), it will take you to the previous screen in the app.
Main App Sections
In this introductory article, you can read some general information on all main sections of the Bird Buddy app, which are located in the bottom navigation bar.
For more details on features and instructions for specific actions within the app, explore the articles here:
⚠️ Are you stuck or have you noticed a bug in the app? Please report it to our support team.
The Inbox and History Feed
When the camera module snaps a bird visit, you’ll receive a notification on your phone (unless you disable notifications in the app). In the Bird Buddy app itself, simply click on the mailbox icon () on the bottom navigation bar to get to your Inbox.
Each postcard displays the bird(s) visiting your feeder, complete with all the images and, if available, videos from that session. To view all the footage within the same postcard, tap on the white arrow icon on the picture or video or simply swipe.
History Feed: To review all your past saved visitors, we've placed a 'History feed' icon () in the top right corner. Both saved and unsaved postcards will disappear from the main Inbox in 7 days, and the saved visits will be waiting for you there.
Other notifications: Non-postcard-related notifications can be accessed by clicking the bell icon ()
Saving the Photos and Videos to Your Collection
- If you want to save all the content from a postcard to your Collection, tap on the 'Save All' button located just below the image and all the photos will be saved to their respective collection.
- When you do, a pop-up will appear asking whether you want to share the postcard with the Bird Buddy community, you can choose 'Share to community' (see privacy note below) to make it public or 'Keep it private' to save it to your own collection only.
Editing and Sharing
- If you don’t want to keep all of the images from a postcard or correct the species, tap the ‘Edit’ button to access the postcard editing flow (described below) where you can select the footage you want to save to the collection.
- Use the 'Share' button to send or share any photo with friends, family, or other bird enthusiasts through your favorite communication channel. Video sharing is not supported directly through the app for now (you can always download it to your phone and share it, though).
- To remove the entire postcard from your inbox, use the Discard button in the top right corner. This will delete the postcard for good, but you'll have a brief moment to change your mind and undo it.
- Keep in mind that both saved and unsaved postcards will disappear from the main Inbox automatically after 7 days.
- For a neat history of all saved visits, the entries will remain in your History feed and also be sorted in your Collection.
The Collections section is where you can view the profiles for each bird species you have unlocked in your postcards. To access the collections section, click on the () icon on the navigation bar.
Once you collect a photo of a bird species for the first time, this will unlock its bird profiles in your Collection. Every profile features interesting facts about the species, you can listen to their song and call and see where they usually live. In the profile, you can access your personal gallery of photos you saved from postcards.
Bird Buddy is setting up a unique network of feeders around the world, enabling you to connect and receive postcards from them. Whether it's the US or any other part of the world, we're on a mission to make bird watching more accessible than ever before. To access BB Explore click on the icon of the Earth () on the main navigation bar in our app. Read more about this feature by clicking here.
The main settings section lets you access your account settings, app settings, and bird feeder settings. To access the settings section, click on the () button on the navigation bar at the bottom of the app. From there, you can change your account information, application settings, and bird feeder settings. You can also adjust notification settings and other preferences. Swipe down on the screen to get the latest reading from the servers for the status of the feeder and the current percentage of battery charge.
The feeder settings are accessed by clicking the tile with the feeder name. Read more about feeder settings here.
Access them by clicking on the button with the same name. Here you can change the app's language, enable or disable app sounds, enable or disable watermarking your pictures, and enable or disable notifications.
Birdbuddy TV & Community
Click below to learn about the new exciting features that help you connect with fellow birders all over the world! 🌎